It's recently been revealed that the Canon EOS R5 was the top-selling camera for Japanese retailer MapCamera in December 2020.
One of the nation's leading specialist photographic retailers, MapCamera published its list of the top ten best-selling new cameras, with the Canon EOS R5 (opens in new tab) taking pride of place atop the chart.
The Nikon Z7 II (opens in new tab) was the second on the list of new cameras, with the Fujifilm X-S10 (opens in new tab) coming in third. Meanwhile the Canon EOS R6 (opens in new tab) only managed to place seventh, which suggests that the R5 seems to have proved more popular among consumers.
• Read more: Best mirrorless cameras (opens in new tab)
While Canon and Nikon take first and second place respectively, the full list reveals that Sony appears more than any other manufacturer, with three individual cameras – including the enduringly popular A7 III.
1. Canon EOS R5 (opens in new tab)
2. Nikon Z7 II (opens in new tab)
3. Fujifilm X-S10 (opens in new tab)
4. Sony A7S III (opens in new tab)
5. Sony A7C (opens in new tab)
6. Nikon Z6 II (opens in new tab)
7. Canon EOS R6 (opens in new tab)
8. Fujifilm X-T4 (opens in new tab)
9. Sony A7 III (opens in new tab)
10. Panasonic Lumix S5 (opens in new tab)
This is actually the first time that the Canon EOS R5 has taken the top spot in MapCamera's list. Earlier in the year, the R5 was only at 13th position due to a lack of stock. Thanks to a recent surge in stock levels, the Canon EOS R5 has now managed to jump to the top spot.
However, MapCamera does warn that stocks are still not quite where they should be. "The reality is that it is still in short supply and has not reached all the people who ordered it".
MapCamera also tracks its top-selling used cameras, and has revealed that the Sony A7 III topped this particular list. Meanwhile, the Canon EOS R took second place and the third top-selling used camera was the original Nikon Z6. These cameras tend to offer great value for money, which is likely why they remain popular options – even though they're not particularly recent releases.
Here is the full ranking of used camera sales for December.
1. Sony A7 III (opens in new tab)
2. Canon EOS R (opens in new tab)
3. Nikon Z6 (opens in new tab)
4. Canon EOS 5D Mark IV (opens in new tab)
5. Sony A6400 (opens in new tab)
6. Sony A7R III (opens in new tab)
7. Sony A7 II (opens in new tab)
8. Fujifilm X-T3 (opens in new tab)
9. Nikon D750 (opens in new tab)
10. Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II
We would imagine that Canon, Nikon and Sony will all be pretty happy with these figures. However, if stock levels improve then Canon may continue to dominate the top spot for some time to come.