This landscape photography will blow your mind

This landscape photography will blow your mind
(Image credit: Jason Hudson)

The winning landscape photography from the first ever World Landscape Photographer competition has recently been announced – and we're blown away by the incredible top 7 images. Launched by professional landscape photographer Nigel Danson, this competition was inspired by his determination to help those affected by coronavirus. 

To be in with a chance to win the top prize, all entrants needed to do was submit five of their best landscape photography images captured from before 01 March, 2020 for an entry fee of £10. At least 90% of the entrance fees were designated to go to a COVID-19 charity, while the remaining 10% would go towards fees and costs associated with sending the prizes to the winners.

• Read more: Best full frame DSLR

Landscape photography (opens in new tab) tips and techniques
Best cameras for landscapes (opens in new tab)
Best lenses for landscapes (opens in new tab)

While Danson 'never thought over 1,000 people would enter', himself and the six other judges ended up judging over 4,383 landscape photography images from over 1,000 entrants. Eventually, the judges managed to pick one first place winner, six other prize winners and 50 commended photos.

Neil Burnell scooped the top prize for his photo 'Wise' (Image credit: Neil Burnell)
(opens in new tab)

Neil Burnell scooped the top prize of a Nikon Z50 and two lenses with his photo 'Wise', a beautiful capture of Wistman's Wood in Devon. Meanwhile, the other six winners received prizes from Benro, Fotospeed, Kase and Tenba.

In total, the World Landscape Photography competition was able to donate over £10K to a Unicef coronavirus appeal, helping to provide essential health worker supplies and help children affected by the outbreak. 

See some of the prize-winning landscape photography below and see more details on the World Landscape Photographer website (opens in new tab).

(Image credit: Adrian Harrison)
(opens in new tab)

(Image credit: Radoslav Cernicky)
(opens in new tab)

(Image credit: Andrew Baruffi)
(opens in new tab)

(Image credit: Jason Flenniken)
(opens in new tab)

Read more

Best professional camera (opens in new tab) in 2020: which pro camera system is best?
The best Sony Camera in 2020 (opens in new tab)
The best lenses for landscapes (opens in new tab)
Best landscape photography tips (opens in new tab)

Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access

Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1

*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription

Join now for unlimited access

Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1

Louise Carey

With over a decade of photographic experience, Louise arms Digital Camera World with a wealth of knowledge on photographic technique and know-how – something at which she is so adept that she's delivered workshops for the likes of ITV and Sue Ryder. Louise also brings years of experience as both a web and print journalist, having served as features editor for Practical Photography magazine and contributing photography tutorials and camera analysis to titles including Digital Camera Magazine (opens in new tab) and  Digital Photographer (opens in new tab). Louise currently shoots with the Fujifilm X-T200 and the Nikon D800, capturing self-portraits and still life images, and is DCW's ecommerce editor, meaning that she knows good camera, lens and laptop deals when she sees them.