The list of Japan's 10 best-selling mirrorless cameras of 2022, from January through June, has just been published by market data number cruncher BCN Retail.
Canon being at the top of the sales charts isn't really a huge surprise. It is, after all, the biggest camera manufacturer in the industry, with a stranglehold that stretches across DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, compacts, PTZ cameras… if it's got a camera in it, and it's not a phone, chances are Canon sells it (and lots of it).
However, as always, this chart serves as an important reminder as to which cameras the majority of the market actually buys – not the cameras that we, as photography and videography experts, think people are buying. More's the point, it's a reminder to anyone who questions why Canon still persists with its EOS M system of just how irrepressibly popular these cameras are.
The Canon EOS M50 Mark II holds the top two spots in the charts, for its white and black colorways. And the original Canon EOS M50 comes in at number 10, proving that there is a ridiculous amount of life left in the manufacturer's original APS-C mirrorless models – despite the launch of the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10.
And at number three, it's another Canon – this time the Canon EOS RP, one of only two full frame camera on the list, the other being the Sony A7 IV. And that's a critical takeaway, here: seven of the ten cameras in this list are APS-C, and one (the Olympus PEN E-PL10) is Micro Four Thirds.
1) Canon EOS M50 Mark II (Double Zoom Kit) White
2) Canon EOS M50 Mark II (Double Zoom Kit) Black
3) Canon EOS RP (Canon RF 24-105mm IS STM Kit)
4) Olympus PEN E-PL10 (EZ Double Zoom Kit) White
5) Sony A7 IV
6) Sony A6100 (Double Zoom Lens Kit) Black
7) Nikon Z50 (Double Zoom Kit)
8) Sony A6400 (Double Zoom Lens Kit) Silver
9) Sony A6400 (Double Zoom Lens Kit) Black
10) Canon EOS M50 (Double Zoom Kit) White