Blackmagic Design has introduced an advanced version of its ATEM Mini video production switcher, which adds more professional features for those want to live stream using two or more camera angles.
Like its $295 predecessor, the new ATEM Mini Pro can control up to four different cameras, allow you to switch between them during live broadcasts on services such as YouTube, Twitch, Zoom and Facebook Live. As well as hard cuts, the units also allow you to add a large number of effects and dissolves as you cut between camera sources. But there are several new features on the Pro version that will justify the doubling of the price tag to $595.
A key new addition is a built-in hardware streaming engine, that allows you to stream direct from the ATEM Mini Pro via the ethernet cable - without the need for additional software streaming software. This is said to give a superior performance, minimizing the risk of dropped frames.
An additional facility is the ability to plug in a hard drive or USB stick so that you have a complete archive copy of the video that you are streaming. The footage is saved as H.264 video files with AAC audio. ATEM Mini Pro supports multiple disks when used with a USB hub or Blackmagic MultiDock, so when a disk fills recording can continue to a second disk for non-stop recording.
The ATEM Mini Pro model also adds a professional multiview that lets users see all four video inputs and preview on a single monitor. Each camera view includes tally indicators so that you know when each source is on-air, and each view also has custom labels and audio meters.
The ATEM Mini Pro is the same size as the original ATEM Mini, but adds a number of additional control buttons to the front panel.
The ATEM Mini Pro and ATEM Mini will both be able to control Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cameras directly, thanks for a new firmware update (opens in new tab) that has been simultaneously released for the PCC 4K and PCC 6K filmmaking cameras.
Specifications(opens in new tab)
The Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro is now in production and will retail for $595.
• Preorder the Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro at B&H Photo (opens in new tab)
• Blackmagic ATEM Mini review (opens in new tab)
• Best cameras for vlogging (opens in new tab)
• The best camera for streaming on Twitch, Mixer and Facebook Live (opens in new tab)
• The best 4K camera for serious filmmaking (opens in new tab)
• The best camcorders (opens in new tab)
• The best YouTube camera (opens in new tab)
• The best action cams (opens in new tab)
• The best webcams for home working (opens in new tab)
• The best microphone for vlogging (opens in new tab)
• Best paid-for video editing software for vloggers and filmmakers (opens in new tab)
• The best laptop for video editing (opens in new tab)
• Best streaming services (opens in new tab)