Canon has released the first firmware update for the Canon EOS R5, which offers "small but worthwhile improvements for EOS R5 video recording times", in addition to improved image stabilization performance and other refinements.
As you would expect, chief among the fixes for the Canon EOS R5 are those related to video recording, which promise to extend shooting times in some situations.
Firstly, firmware version 1.1.0 no longer disables the overheat control function when shooting with an external monitor / recorder. Overheat control automatically adjusts the movie size and frame rate while the R5 is in standby, which prevents additional heat buildup within the camera, improving shoot duration.
Secondly, and most helpfully for the masses, the accuracy of remaining record times has been improved. The R5 now gives a more realistic reflection of how much time is remaining, both when powering the camera on and off between movie recording and when switching between stills and video shooting.
While it's not a magic bullet that drastically reduces the video limits, we've tested the new firmware and can confirm that the record time indicator is now much more accurate. This is a big help when you're juggling between modes, or when you're leaving the camera turned off to cool down; where the original feedback was less than reliable, the remaining time display is now more accurate and consistent, enabling you to squeeze more effective shooting time out of the camera.
The firmware also fine tunes the R5's image stabilization – namely that in-lens IS performance has been improved "for certain RF lenses" when shooting video. Canon also claims that the upcoming Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS now benefits from 6 stops of stability – though it had already announced this to be the case (the lens natively possesses 5 stops of IS, which is amplified to 6 thanks to the lens and in-body stabilization working in tandem).
Canon EOS R5 firmware 1.1.0 – Full List of Updates
1. [Overheat control: on] settings are no longer disabled when HDMI display: Camera + External monitor is used and a message to inform users is shown
2. Image stabilization performance is increased to 6 stops when the RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens is attached, using the combination of lens IS and the IBIS (In-Body Image Stabilization)
3. The in-lens image stabilization performance during movie recording has been improved for certain RF lenses
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which the “Slow Synchro” setting screen is not displayed correctly when the language is set to English
5. Fixes a typo displayed on the communication setting screen, when the language is set to Korean
6. Connectivity during FTP transmission has been improved
7. Fixes a phenomenon, in which the card access time may take longer, when using certain CFexpress cards
8. In movie recording the remaining time displayed when powering the camera off/on frequently between recording consecutive short videos (at room temperature) has been made more accurate
9. A phenomenon in which the movie recording time available is not correctly displayed when the Date/Time/Zone is not set has been corrected