COVID lockdowns and a surge in home working have made video calls and streaming a mainstream activity, so why not use a proper camera instead of some cheap clip-on gadget or your computer's built-in video camera? Fujifilm's firmware updates for the Fujifilm X-T30 and X100V do this and more.
Firmware updates are often used to fix bugs or make features work more consistently, but Fujifilm is one of a few camera makers that goes a lot further, extending the life of older models by offering enhanced performance and new capabilities.
• Note that this is an announcement of a future update. These firmware updates will not actually be available until 17 February 2021. After that date you should be able to find them on the Fujifilm support downloads page.
Fujifilm firmware updates are straightforward to download and install yourself, providing you follow the instructions carefully.
Fujifilm X100V firmware update Ver.2.00
This firmware update adds new features to Fujifilm's premium fixed lens compact camera:
1. 1. Support for FUJIFILM X Webcam: You will be able to use the X100V with the FUJIFILM X Webcam (X Webcam) desktop software and connecting the camera to a computer via a USB cable.
2. Apply Film Simulations through X Webcam: You will be able to use Fujifilm's Film Simulations modes to give your Zoom presences a bit more pizazz.
3. Use the built-in ND filter in the video mode: Previously, the ND filter was only available for stills, but now you can use wide apertures in bright light or slower shutter speeds for video too.
4.Set the Position of the Bright Frame to its Shifted Location: It's one of the quirks of the X100V that the framing guides in the OVF shift with the focus distance to allow for parallax. This update adds an option to set the camera to remember the Bright Frame’s shifted location so that the camera will not need to readjust the frame’s position every time focus is acquired.
5. Expanded Functionality: Previously, you were stuck with JPEGs only if you used the camera's digital teleconverter for 50mm or 70mm crops, but now you will be able to save RAW+JPEG images.
Fujifilm X-T30 firmware update Ver.1.40
It's a smaller update for Fujifilm's pint-sized X-T30, but a useful one nonetheless:
1. Support for FUJIFILM X Webcam: Like the X100V above, the X-T30 can now be used as a high-quality webcam with the FUJIFILM X Webcam (X Webcam) software when you connect it to a computer via a USB cable.
2. Apply Film Simulations through X Webcam: Again, the X-T30 will be able to apply Film Simulations when being used as a webcam.
3. Rating Information is now saved: Previously, you could rate images on the X-T30, but the ratings weren't visible in third-party software tools. This firmware update fixes this.
Fujifilm X-Pro3 firmware update Ver.1.20
It's a very minor firmware update for Fujifilm's retro-styled X-Pro3:
1. Set the Position of the Bright Frame to its shifted location: Like the X100V, the X-Pro3 has a hybrid OVF that adjusts for parallax when you focus on objects close to the camera, shifting the framing guides to compensate. This update offers the option to remember the Bright Frame’s shifted location so that the camera will not need to readjust the frame’s position every time focus is acquired.
• Fujifilm announces the X-E4
• Fujifilm GFX 100S launched
• Two XF, one GF lens launched
• Best Fujifilm cameras
• Best Fujifilm lenses