Panasonic has revealed a new point-and-shoot camera, the Panasonic Lumix DC-TZ95, known as the ZS80 in the United States.
At the Panasonic European Convention 2019 in Frankfurt, with Digital Camera World in attendance, Panasonic announced the camera which offers 30x Leica Lens, a tiltable rear monitor and Live View Finder, and a 20.3MP sensor. Like all the best travel cameras (opens in new tab), it packs a long zoom range into a compact, pocket-sized body.
It looks to be a minor upgrade from the existing Panasonic TZ90/ZS70, which we count among the best point-and-shoot cameras (opens in new tab), adding a couple of millimetres to the dimensions and a few grams in weight, as well as improving the viewfinder and adding Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity.
The full specs are as follows:
• 1/2.3-inch, 20.3 million pixel sensor
• 30x optical zoom with equivalent 24-720mm focal range,
• 4K video
• 4K photo mode (30fps, extract 8MP jpgs)
• 10 frames per second burst (AFS), 5 frames per second with tracking (AFC)
• RAW format shooting
• 0.21-inch, 2.3 million dots Live View Finder
• 3-inch, 1.04 million dot tilting touchscreen LCD
• Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS
• Battery rated to 380 shots
• 22 digital filter options
• Size: 112.0 × 68.8 × 41.6 mm – Unconfirmed
• Weight: 328 g (including battery and memory card) – Unconfirmed
The TZ95/ZS80 looks like it will effectively replace the TZ90/ZS70, and will sit below the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ100, which boasts a slightly larger sensor and faster maximum aperture (f/2.8) at the expense of a reduced optical zoom (10x).
With the gap between camera phones and dedicated cameras rapidly closing, Panasonic could be accused of being too conservative with these specs – especially with the big guns that are sure to be revealed at MWC 2019 (opens in new tab) next week. Although new features such as Zoom Compose Assist (which helps track your subjects by quickly zooming out when they move out of frame) certainly show promise.
The Panasonic Lumix TZ95/ZS80 will be available from the end of April in black and black & silver colourways, at a price of £399/$449.