When it comes to trade-in value, Panasonic and Nikon are worth the most when it comes to converting your cameras into cash. That's according to information supplied to Digital Camera World by British retailer CEX.
The 47-megapixel Panasonic S1R tops the table for mirrorless camera trade-ins, worth a cool £1,537, while the Nikon D5 is far and away the most valuable DSLR, netting you a nifty £1,722 on Nikon's soon-to-be-replaced pro camera.
Interestingly, while Panasonic and Sony dominate the mirrorless top 12, there is only a single Canon camera – the Canon EOS R (with the EF-EOS R Mount Adapter), worth £1,235 second-hand. Conversely, Canon makes up half (with Nikon comprising the other) of the DSLR top 12, led by the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV worth £957.
And, while there's a healthy mix of full-frame, APS-C and Micro Four Thirds sensors in the mix, unsurprisingly the top 8 mirrorless cameras and the top 4 DSLRs are all full-frame systems.
It paints an interesting picture of how much money many of us have sat on our shelves, potentially just gathering dust, in the form of old or unused electronics. Indeed, according to a previous report, CEX reckons that every British household has £303 of tech just laying around.
Maybe it's time to convert those old cameras into cash! Thanks to CEX for providing us with the following information the cameras worth the most money second-hand at the retailer…
Top 12 second-hand mirrorless cameras
1. Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Full Frame 47.3M Body Only - Black – 1,537.00
2. Sony Alpha 9 ILCE-9 (Body Only) – 1,363.00
3. Canon EOS R + 24-105mm + EF Mount – 1,235.00
4. Sony Alpha A7R IV (Body Only) – 1,160.00
5. Nikon Z7 (Body Only) – 1,131.00
6. Sony Alpha 7R III ILCE-7RM3 (Body Only) – 1,041.00
7. Sony Alpha 7 III ILCE-7M3 (Body Only) – 783.00
8. Nikon Z6 (Body Only) – 739.00
9. Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5S (Body Only) – 696.00
10. Fujifilm X-T3 + XF 18-55mm – 667.00
11. Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 + 12-60 ASPH O.I.S Lens – 493.00
12. Fujifilm X-H1 (Body) – 352.00
Top 12 second-hand DSLR cameras
1. Nikon D5 (Body Only) – 1,722.00
2. Nikon D850 (Body Only) – 1,222.00
3. Canon EOS 5D Mark IV (Body Only) – 957.00
4. Canon EOS 6D Mark II (Body Only) – 609.00
5. Canon EOS 90D (Body Only) – 565.00
6. Nikon D810 (Body Only) – 565.00
7. Canon EOS 7D Mark II (Body Only) – 397.00
8. Nikon D7500 (Body Only) – 359.00
9. Canon EOS 250D (Body Only) – 220.00
10. Nikon D5600 Black + AF-P DX 18-55mm VR – 214.00
11. Nikon D3500 Black + AF-P DX 18-55mm VR – 165.00
12. Canon EOS 4000D + 18-55mm III – 116.00
Top 10 phone trade-ins: The most lucrative smartphone swaps!
The best cheap camera deals in 2020: we pick the best discounted camera bargains
Best camera under $100/£100: cheap cameras that still take decent shots