A camera phone user in Bangalore, India has received a shock after the battery in her brand new OnePlus Nord 2 5G spontaneously exploded. Having only bought the handset just 5 days prior, the woman went out for a ride on her bicycle with her new camera phone in her sling. Suddenly, the handset exploded, issuing large amounts of smoke, which caused her to have an accident.
This was reported by the woman's husband, Ankur Sharma (opens in new tab) on Twitter, who stated that his wife had been traumatized by the incident. Ankur also published four images that showed the destroyed OnePlus Nord 2, which did indeed look as if it had exploded from the inside.
• Read more: Best OnePlus phone (opens in new tab)
As reported by LetsGoDigital (opens in new tab), the glass back on this OnePlus Nord 2 handset "was completely swept away by the explosion. The plastic frame is also completely affected. It must have been quite a blow". LetsGoDigital also states that this incident is "very remarkable, especially since the device was not being charged at the time of the explosion."
OnePlus isn't the only camera phone manufacturer that has had to deal with exploding batteries. Samsung issued an official recall of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 after there were several reports of the battery catching fire. An investigation later found that there wasn't enough space between the heat-sealed protective bag around the battery and the interior of the handset.
There is a possibility that this was a stand-alone incident, as there have been no previous reports of exploding batteries in the OnePlus Nord 2. However, with the Nord 2 having only been available for a week, we will likely have to wait and see whether any further reports materialize.