The Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Summilux 10-25mm f/1.7 ASPH lens was officially launched at Cine Gear 2019 in Los Angeles tonight. The Micro Four Thirds lens (opens in new tab) which was first announced at Photokina last year, and was available to touch and try and The Photography Show in March, is now a reality. It goes on sale from July 15. In the UK it will cost £1799 / $1799.
The Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Summilux 10-25mm f/1.7 ASPH offers a full-frame equivalent focal range of 20-50mm, making it a versatile wide to standard zoom offering.
Fittingly, for a product showcased at the Cine Gear event, it's a very video-friendly lens. In addition to its fast constant aperture of f/1.7 throughout the range, it boasts a physical aperture ring with fully de-clicked control and "silent operation achieved by the inner focus drive system".
Furthermore, unlike other zoom lenses designed for stills photography, the 10-25mm features a mechanism to suppress focus breathing – the minor change in focal length when you bring an object into focus.
The optic doesn't possess any stabilization of its own (which isn't necessarily an issue, given the short focal length and the fact that every Micro Four Thirds body boasts at least 3-axis IBIS) but this also keeps the optic nice and light at just 690g.
In addition the lens is both splash and dustproof, making it suitable for use even in challenging environments (provided it is paired with a similarly weather sealed body, of course).
• Lens construction: 17 elements in 12 groups (3 aspherical lenses, 4 ED lenses, 1
• Mount: Micro Four Thirds
• Focal length: 10-25mm (35mm camera equivalent 20-50mm)
• Aperture type: 9 diaphragm blades / Circular aperture diaphragm
• Maximum aperture: f/1.7
• Minimum aperture: f/16
• Closest focusing distance: 0.28m / 0.92′
• Maximum magnification: Approx. 0.14x / 0.28x (35mm camera equivalent)
• Diagonal angle of view: 94° (Wide) – 47° (Tele)
• Dust and splash resistant: Yes.
• Recommended operating temperature: -10°C to 40°C (14°F to 104°F)
• Filter size: 77mm
• Maximum diameter: 87.6mm / 3.45″
• Overall length: Approx. 128mm / 5.04″ (from the tip of the lens to the base side of the lens mount)
• Weight: Approx. 690g / 24.34oz (excluding lens cap, lens rear cap and lens hood)
• Model number: H-X1025
Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Summilux 10-25mm f/1.7 ASPH hand-on review (opens in new tab)
Best Panasonic camera in 2019
Best Micro Four Thirds lenses for your Panasonic or Olympus camera (opens in new tab)