Sigma has launched an updated Art Series version of its best-selling 105mm macro lens. The new Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG DN Macro will be available for Sony E-mount and L-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras.
The new macro lens has the same basic specification as the existing 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM - but has been completely redesigned for use on mirrorless cameras, and for inclusion in the premium Art range of prime lenses. A key consideration has been to improve optical quality of the lens – but a drawback of this approach means that the DG DN version does not have built-in optical stabilization. Furthermore, Sigma CEO Kazuto Yamaki admits that its autofocus performance will not be particularly fast.
Yamaki also revealed that its existing 105mm Macro lens has been selling like proverbial hotcakes this year – with a 75% increase in sales in the US, and a doubling of sales in Germany – as people engaged with subjects closer to home during the Covid-19 lockdown.
Mounts: Sony E & Leica L
Full frame: Yes
Image stabilization: No
Lens Construction: 12 elements in 17 groups
Angle of view: 23.3°
Number of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded diaphragm)
Minimum aperture: f/22
Minimum focusing distance: 29.5cm / 11.6in
Maximum magnification ratio: 1:7.3
Dimensions (diameter × length): 74mm×133.6mm / 2.9x5.3in
Weight: 715g / 25.2oz
Key features of the lens include:
• A declickable aperture ring, to allow for smooth exposure adjustment when shooting video.
• An optical design that ensures minimal ghosting and flare, with excellent corner to corner sharpness.
• The lens can be used with Sigma's recently released 1.4x and 2x teleconverters, the TC-1411 and TC-2011.
• Beautiful bokeh from a 9-blade iris for attractive backgrounds for macro subjects
• A Focus Limiter Switch that allows users to limit the lens’ focusing range, resulting in faster overall AF performance. The three focus ranges are 0.295m-0.5m, 0.5m-infinity, or Full.
• Compatible with Sigma USB Dock UD-11 for customization and firmware updates
• Weatherproof construction
• Autofocus using a hypersonic motor (HSM) which is optimized for the latest face/eye detection AF
The Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG DN Macro will go on sale from 23 October for $799 / £699, and is supplied with its own lens hood and soft case.
• Preorder the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG DN Macro at B&H Photo
• Preorder the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG DN Macro at Wex Photo Video
Best Sony lenses in 2020: top lenses for Sony mirrorless and Alpha cameras
Best macro lenses
L-mount lens roadmap