Due to ship on 15 May (at least in the US) the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art carries the expected $899 / £749 (approximately AU$1,155) price tag. Below is the official description from Sigma.
• Read more: Best 35mm lenses
"The existing 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art was Sigma’s first Global Vision lens. Released in 2012, it set the standard for all of Sigma’s subsequent Art-line lenses, and thanks to its exceptional image quality it is still the 35mm prime lens of choice for many professional photographers. Nine years on, the 35mm F1.4 has been redesigned from the ground up specifically for mirrorless cameras.
"Despite being significantly smaller and lighter than the existing 35mm F1.4, it displays an outstanding level of sharpness right to the edges of the frame at all apertures, as well as exceptionally smooth and attractive bokeh and remarkably well-controlled optical aberrations.
"Designed exclusively for use with mirrorless cameras, the 35mm F1.4 DG DN | Art is light enough to feel perfectly balanced on a compact mirrorless camera, yet is packed with an array of professional features including ultra-fast AF, a de-clickable and lockable aperture ring and a customizable AFL button. This gives the lens operability and portability without compromise, making it as ideal for professional projects as it is for casual outings, and as well-suited to video as it is stills.
Sigma is delighted to introduce you to the new gold standard in wide-aperture 35mm primes."
Pre-order the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art at Adorama (US)
Pre-order the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art at B&H (US)
Pre-order the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art for L-Mount at Park (UK)
Pre-order the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art for Sony E at Park (UK)
Pre-order the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art for L-Mount at Wex (UK)
Pre-order the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art at Sony E at Wex (UK)
ORIGINAL STORY (26 Apr): Sigma will announce a new lens tomorrow: the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art, a "reimagined" mirrorless update of the manufacturer's first ever Global Vision lens, for Sony E bodies and L-mount cameras.
The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art is a new interpretation of the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM | A, released back in 2012.
Sigma has confirmed that it will hold a press conference on 27 April at 08:00 EDT / 13:00 GMT, but images and specifications of the new 35mm f/1.4 lens have already leaked extensively online.
According to Sony Alpha Rumors, the lens will go on sale in June or July with a retail price of $899 (approximately £647 / AU$1,155).
"Compare to Sony GM, at the center of resolution, it is good as Sony GM," writes the site. "At the corner of resolution, Sony GM is better. AF speed is slower than Sony GM. Sigma Art is much lighter and cheaper."
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art specs
- Lens construction: 15 elements in 11 groups, with 1 FLD, 1 ELD, 2 SLD and 2 aspherical elements
- Internal focusing
- Compatible with high-speed autofocus
- Stepping motor
- Compatible with lens-based optical correction
* Function available on supported cameras only. Available corrections may vary depending on the camera model.
- Super Multi-Layer Coating
- Water and oil repellent coating (front element)
- Aperture Ring
- Aperture Ring Click Switch
- Aperture Ring Lock Switch
*When turned ON at the position A, the aperture ring is locked at A. When turned ON at a position other than A, it is locked within the range between the maximum to minimum apertures and will not engage at the position A.
- AFL button
- Focus Mode Switch
- Support DMF, AF+MF
- Dust and splash proof structure
- Petal type hood with lock
- Compatible with SIGMA USB DOCK UD-11 (sold separately / for L-Mount only)
- Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
- Every single lens undergoes SIGMA’s proprietary MTF measuring system “A1”
- 11-blade rounded diaphragm
- High-precision, durable brass bayonet mount
- ‘Made in Japan’ craftsmanship