We've just got our best look at the upcoming Laowa CF 33mm f/0.95 APO – a mirrorless APS-C lens for Canon, Sony, Nikon and Fujifilm mounts.
A new video has appeared online showcasing the Laowa CF 33mm f/0.95 APO, which is faster than the Fujifilm XF 33mm f/1.0 R WR that was famously scrapped by Fujifilm when it proved too difficult to produce (and was replaced by the Fujifilm XF50mm f/1.0).
• Read more: Fastest lenses on the market
Admittedly, of course, the Fujifilm lens possessed autofocus, where this new Laowa is a fully manual affair. Still, it's impressive that Laowa has filled the gap left by one of the premier manufacturers, as well as increased the speed to f/0.95. And this is just one of four f/0.95 optics announced by the brand, as part of its new Argus lens lineup (comprising a 25mm for Micro Four Thirds cameras, and a 35mm and 45mm for full frame bodies).
The product video, which you can see below, illustrates the lens' impressively shallow depth of field and the buttery soft bokeh that is rendered. The lens is said to have virtually zero focus breathing, making it an ideal option for videography.
The Laowa CF 33mm f/0.95 APO, being an APS-C lens, has a longer effective focal length depending on the camera you mount it to. It possesses a full-frame equivalent 49.5mm on Sony E, Nikon Z and Fujifilm X systems, and 52.8mm on Canon EF-M bodies. We don't have pricing or release info yet, but we'll give you an update as soon as we do.
Laowa CF 33mm f/0.95 APO specs
APS-C – Sony E / Fuji X / Nikon Z / Canon EF-M
• Focal length: 33 mm
• Effective focal length: 49.5 (Sony / Fuji / Nikon), 52.8 (Canon)
• Maximum aperture ratio: F0.95
• Angle: 46.2 °
• Lens construction: 9 groups 14 elements (including 1 aspherical lens, 1 special low-dispersion lens, 3 high refractive lenses)
• Number of aperture blades: 9
• Shortest shooting distance: 35cm
• Maximum shooting magnification : 0.125x
• Filter diameter 62mm
• Dimensions: φ71.5mm × 83mm
• Mass: Approximately 590g